Sunday, May 22, 2005

Maximo Park / A Certain Trigger / 8.4

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/m/maximo-park/certain-trigger.shtml

I am going to go out on a limb here and say at least in a recording studio Maximo Park reminds me of post punk’s answer to Rites Of Spring.

That's right I said Rites of Spring.

“ A Certain Trigger” shares the same kind of messy imperfect brutal honesty that made me worship R.O.S. over a decade ago yet it also carries the endearing sappy Brit-bite of the Smiths.( w/ the addition of a keyboard) This does not make Maximo Park an absurd synth pop band nor do they play knock-off new wave drivel. After some 50 listens I can't say Maximo Park sounds just like any other band. There are hints of influences, there is an unbridled energy spit between clench teeth, but the refreshing thing is their music sounds like they mean it. Pop can sound dangerous and exciting when a band dares to play it sincerely. I believe every note, every drum hit, every line of lyric and I can’t remember the last time I felt that way about a band I have never even seen play live.

You don’t have to love this band but at least give them credit for playing something real and true to themselves. That alone should earn them a little respect and at the very least, a listen.

An 8.4 from Pitchfork is pretty darn decent and these days I am amazed when I actually agree with them on anything. Sam Ubl, you did good. Think of our two reviews together like a Siskel and Ebert two thumbs up.