Thursday, August 17, 2006

Over and Out

My problem with Tuning Fork is it gives the impression that Pitchfork means something to me personally when in fact if I didn’t have to pay attention to it for my work I wouldn’t read it at all. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate them now nor have I ever. The truth is I am not (ironically enough) much of a computer person and I don’t really enjoy pursuing my passion for music via the internet. What I am trying to say here is I have had my fill of full time blogging no less about Pitchfork. This isn’t exactly a good-bye, think of it more like I have much much much better things to be doing with my time and this is my official declaration of independence.

I am uncertain as to what this blog will turn into but for now it will remain up and open for any of the writers to post on. This however is a promise: I personally will not be posting reviews of Pitchfork reviews anymore

Wha happened?

I miss me. I miss my free time; the days when I was a creative person that had nothing to do with a laptop or Pitchfork. I miss listening to a record and not wondering what PFM was going to say about it, especially since their opinions never mattered to me personally in the first place. I hate the fact that I can’t listen to a record without instantly beginning to translate the experience into the words. I started making my own record two years ago and not only have I not had the time to finish it but I realized rather recently that I haven’t written any new music since the inception of this silly website. Pathetic, right?

How did I get myself into this mess anyhow?

This whole blog began as a joke among friends about a year and a half ago and I can promise you it never crossed any of our minds the site would be discovered by others. Rather accidentally Tuning Fork took on a life of its own and before I knew it I was posting every day - no less spending 2-6 hours a day to keep it going. With thousands of readers each week I felt pressured to keep the ball rolling and for a time there, I was happy to do it. I have truly enjoyed aspects of blogging but I have better things to be doing with my spare time than policing Pitchfork. It’s really an incredible compliment that anybody cared about our site no less kept reading and I don’t know what is a bigger shock to me…the fact that our idea took off or that I didn’t come to my senses and stop it sooner, ha!

I want to thank my fellow Tuning Fork writers for their brilliant contributions and again I welcome them all to continue posting here to their hearts desire.

I want to thank you kind readers for making this experience completely gratifying and my friends in bands for gracefully handling the awkward experience of me talking about the music they make to strangers in blog form.

Thank you Mr. Perfect for all your patience and support. (And for sitting through hours of music you didn’t like only to have me add insult to injury by rambling on about them as I worked on and completed my reviews)

Lastly thanks to Pitchfork for tolerating (for the most part) our scrutiny and near daily ribbing. We may play for apposing teams using different techniques but clearly we share a love for the same sport.

In closing:

The amount of power Pitchfork wields in the music industry is disturbing; bordering on obnoxious. What has helped to create this forked media monster is a massive dedicated following and I am happy to announce today that I am no longer a part of it.

Over and Out,
Pitch Perfect

PS: You can keep track of me via last.fm.com here or feel free to drop me a line at tuningforkmedia@hotmail.com